Love is in the air 🙂 but like with all good things there are some dangers lurking for your pet.
It’s nice to show our loved ones how much we care by bringing flowers into the home, but be careful –
LILIES – The peace lily, Tiger Lily and some Day Lilies are highly toxic to your pet, not only the flower but the leaves and even the water in the vase.
ROSES – Even though the flower itself is not toxic, the thorns on the roses can hurt your pet’s mouth, paws and if swallowed tear the throat and intestines.
AZALEA’s – Beautiful flowers but highly toxic, just a few leaves can cause serious problems from an upset digestive system to leg paralysis and even death.
The other favourite Valentines gift is Chocolate. The darker and more bitter the chocolate it is, the more toxic it is to your dog, so bakers chocolate, gourmet chocolate bars, semi-sweet chocolate are the most harmful and it does not take much to make your pet very sick. The most dangerous are chocolate covered raisins, coffee beans. These are often left in bowls for family members to share. Please make sure they are kept out of reach of your pet.
If you see your pet has ingested any of the above, please do not wait to see if symptoms start. Call the Pet Poison Hotline 800-213-6680 , remember the signs may not be immediate, depending on the pet and how much they ingested you may not see symptoms for 4- 24 hours after the event. If you didn’t see you pet eat anything but notice
- Vomiting (may include blood)
- Restlessness and hyperactivity
- Rapid breathing
- Muscle tension, incoordination
- Increased heart rate
Please seek medical attention for your pet immediately.
You may also find this interesting, The Chocolate Toxicity Meter.
Happy Valentines Day – may you all enjoy lots of snuggles from your four legged ValentineMorag Willcox York Professional Pet Sitting Your Partners In Pet Care Since 2000 Serving Newmarket, Aurora and surrounding area 289-221-4573 firstname.lastname@example.org www.yorkprofessionalpetsitting.com